Can You Help our Reception Classes?
They need loose parts...
What are Loose Parts?
Loose parts are materials that can be moved, carried, combined, re-designed, lined up and taken apart and put back together in multiple ways. They are materials with no specific set of directions that can be used alone or combined with other materials. They can be natural or synthetic.
Why Loose Parts?
There are many reasons why play spaces should include a multitude of loose parts, including:-
- loose parts can be used anyway children choose
- loose parts can be adapted and manipulated in many ways
- loose parts encourage creativity and imagination
- loose parts develop more skill and competence than most modern plastic toys
- loose parts can be used in many different ways
- loose parts can be used in combination with other materials to support imagination
- loose parts encourage open ended learning
- children choose loose parts over fancy toys
Children can turn them into whatever they desire: a stone can become a character in a story; an acorn can become an ingredient in an imaginary soup. These objects invite conversations and interactions, and they encourage collaboration and co-operation.
All of the following items are so valuable to our Reception classes and they are always grateful for donations.
- Nuts, bolts, nails, screws, washers
- Bamboo sticks (any size)
- PVC pipes, gutters, hoses
- Terracotta pots
- Cotton wool
- Kitchen roll tubes
- Wicker baskets
- Toy cars
- Keys and locks
- Real teacups, saucers, teapots
- Metal/Wooden spoons, bowls
- Small handle hammers
- Wood cuts (disc shaped)
- Real weighing scales
- Old pieces of jewellery
- Any garden cuttings we can replant
- Real flower heads